Lismore Castle.

County Waterford.

Once owned by Sir Walter Raleigh.


Lismore Castle.

(Great ring fort.)

Lismore Castle was built on the site of Lismore Abbey which was founded in 635 by St Mochuda, also known as St. Carthage, in 1171 Henry II stayed in the Abbey, Henry's son John, later to become King John built a small castle on the site in 1185. Subsequently it served as the episcopal residence of the local bishop.

Sir Walter Raleigh leased the property in 1589, he later accquired it, but during his imprisonment in The Tower of London for high treason Raleigh sold the castle in 1602 to Richard Boyle, later 1st Earl of Cork.

Lismore Castle is not open to the public.

Co Waterford
Tel +353 (0)58 54424
Fax: +353 (0)58 54896
E Mail
Web Site